New industry agreement GT12 from October 2022 (17)
The German abbreviation GT12 stands for “Common Tariff 12”. There is also a “Common Tariff 1”. These common tariffs regulate the copyright fees paid to the holders of the rights to protected works such as films, texts, music, etc. All providers have to pay these fees and TV PLUS shows these fees transparently on the invoice. The GT1 fee relates to live programming and the GT12 fee covers replay TV. In 2022 there are some major changes in the GT12 tariff. These are the backgrounds:
In Switzerland, TV viewers have access to an above-average selection of TV programs. Programs can also be viewed with a time delay of up to seven days after broadcast, i.e. in replay. Replay TV is becoming more and more popular and is therefore being used more and more frequently. As a result, many users are able to skip ads. However, the TV broadcasters need the income generated by advertising to finance their programs. If this development continues in the coming years, the TV stations see their existence threatened. They are also of the opinion that this would endanger the variety of original programs in Switzerland and that in the long term there would only be pay TV. The new partial agreement of the GT12 is intended to counteract this development for the participating stations.
The GT12 fee for the variant with additionally placed short “dynamic” advertising blocks that can not be fast-forwarded and subsequent fast-forwarding of remaining advertising stays the same as before. With TV PLUS, this corresponds to the “Classic” subscription.
The new GT12 industry agreement now introduces an increase in the fee for the right to fast-forward or skip the ad commercial. This is intended to compensate the participating channels for their lost advertising revenue. The GT12 fee will be increased for the option to fast-forward or skip commercials on participating channels. In other words, this corresponds to an additional fee for television that is largely free of advertising. With TV PLUS, this corresponds to the “Top” subscription. The choice between these subscriptions is left to the TV PLUS customers.
This so-called industry agreement is therefore a compromise that is necessary so that Replay-TV can still be offered at all. Alternatively, the replay rights would have to be negotiated with each broadcaster individually, which could severely degrade the TV experience for customers.
- Watch a Replay program
- Watch a program that has already started from the beginning again (start-over)
- Watch recorded programs in the first seven days after broadcast (Replay window)
- Press live pause during live TV, Replay or recordings
- Start ads: short ad shown at the start of a program on time-shifted television
- FFW ads (Fast Forward): ads shown when fast-forward is used in a linear advertising block on time-shifted television. Maximum 130 seconds (max. 210 seconds per hour). The program can then be moved to the end of the linear commercial block and the actual broadcast can be continued.
- Pause ads: static ads shown after pressing the pause button on live or time-shifted TV
- Recordings (for first seven days)
- Live pause
- Replay TV
- 7+ Family / NICK Schweiz
- kabel eins
- ProSieben MAXX
- Puls 8
- SAT.1 GOLD
General Questions (11)
On the other side, there are Zattoo, Teleboy, Wilmaa and others, which like TV PLUS, use OTT (Over the Top) platforms. OTT basically means that these services do not need an own network or are bound to one specific Internet provider. TV PLUS is the solution for people who don’t want to deal (anymore) with app installation on devices and unfriendly operation of smart TVs. TV PLUS works very simply: switch on and watch TV on a big screen instantly. VoD, Netflix and Youtube can be operated with the same (and only necessary) remote control. Above all, we focus on uncomplicated operation. Not to forget: you can use up to 5 boxes at the same time, 4K picture quality, enjoyment on a big screen instead of a small mobile screen etc. We like to think that TV PLUS uses the best of the two worlds and combines their advantages to the benefit of the consumers.
- When you order the TV PLUS Start package for the first time, select PayPal as payment method. Or you change in TV PLUS My Account from another payment method to PayPal. Your PayPal account must already be created and the required amount available in it.
- Before the subscription runs out you make a monthly payment from your bank account to PayPal, best using a permanent order from your bank. Make sure there are enough funds in the PayPal account (this works like a bank account).
- TV PLUS charges your PayPal account automatically. There are no additional costs for you.
- You get a monthly payment confirmation from PayPal.
About The TV PLUS Subscriptions (10)
- The sky services: you need to open a sky account if you don’t already have one, best done on your computer. Then you log in once on the TV box and you are ready to watch sky. You pay via your sky account which is separate from TV PLUS.
- Netflix: you need to open a Netflix account if you don’t already have one, best done on your computer. Then you log in once on the TV box and you are ready to watch Netflix. You pay via your Netflix account which is separate from TV PLUS. You are paying a flat rate subscription and you can watch as much as you want according to the current business model of Netflix. You can cancel Netflix monthly.
Can multiple boxes being used in one subscription watch TV from different locations at the same time?
According to your website, the recording capacity of the TV Box is limited to 400 hours. What does it mean?
The TV PLUS Lite subscription offers no replay/recording/pause functionality and no mobile or web TV apps. It is aimed at customers who only watch TV occasionally. You can switch Subscriptions as follows:
– from Lite to Classic: at any time, billed from the next first of the month, replay/recording/pause functionality and mobile and web TV apps are activated immediately
– from Classic to Lite: this switch is only possible after a minimum term of 3 months of using the Classic subscription. replay/recording/pause functionality and mobile and web TV apps remain active from the date of switching until the end of the current month, the Lite price will be charged from the first of the next month
Best is to go to your account at https://tv-plus.tv/my-account/subscriptions and check what options you currently have available.
The TV PLUS Box (16)
- a 3-meter Ethernet cable for the Internet
- a 2.5-meter HDMI cable for your TV
- the power supply
- the remote control with batteries
- a quick start guide to help you connect everything
Our remote control has 4 green programmable buttons on the top right (Power, Source, VOL+ and VOL-), you can synchronize them with the buttons of your existing TV remote control. In this way you only need one single remote control to operate both- your TV box and TV.And this is how it works: 1. Press and hold one of the green buttons (e.g. VOL+) for about 6 seconds until the LED light of the green power button (it flashes 3 times briefly at the beginning) is permanently lit.
2. Hold your original TV remote control and your new TV Plus remote control about 1 cm away from each other, opposite to each other (with the front sides facing each other)3. Press and hold the corresponding button on your original TV remote control (e.g. VOL+) until the LED light on the new TV Plus remote control flashes 3 times and then goes out. 4. Do the same for the other three buttons (Power, Source and VOL-).
- press the Windows button
- Search for “Media Streaming Options” and click the result to open Control Panel on that section
- Click the Turn on media streaming button to enable DLNA on Windows 10. Turn on media streaming on Windows 10.
- Click OK to apply the settings and complete the task